OUR AREAS OF PRACTICE.
We are continually adapting new areas of practice as the law, legal landscape and economic conditions continue to evolve. While our firm was formed to focus on estate planning and estate administration, we quickly responded to our clients' needs to handle business planning, transactions, and litigation matters because our clients wanted to continue working with us relating to other aspects of their lives and businesses. In many firms clients are passed on to other practice groups or referred to other law firms to handle issues outside of the trust and estate area. Our clients wanted to "keep it in the family" where they had developed a sense of trust, so we expanded and now are proud to provide a wide array of related services for our clients.
- Business Planning
- Charitable Giving
- Employment Law
- Estate & Trust Litigation
- Estate Administration
- Estate Planning
- Guardianships & Conservatorships
- International Law - Estate Planning and Business Issues
- Organization & Operation of Closely Held Businesses
- Organization & Operation of Support Funds, Supporting Organizations & Nonprofit Organizations
- Owner, Operator, Shareholder Dispute Resolution & Litigation
- Real Estate
Estate & Trust Litigation
In a perfect world, all wills would be clearly written, interpreted, and honored; all trusts would be executed as written; and beneficiaries' rights and decedents' desires would be understood. Regrettably, controversies do arise regarding wills and trusts. End-of-life situations are stressful for everyone involved. Divorces, remarriages, and business partnerships or other entanglements may result in sensitive situations during the process of estate administration. Planning ahead can ease some of the burdens placed on loved ones; however, sometimes litigation or the threat of litigation occurs during the probate process:
In handling such cases, we realize that probate litigation often can be emotionally driven. Therefore, through individual attention and a high level of service, we guide our clients through the litigation process and assist with:
- Representing the personal representative in working through the liquidation of a bankrupt decedent's estate.
- Representing beneficiaries to force the liquidation of illiquid assets to satisfy not only proper creditor claims but also the claims of interested parties.
- Representing a surviving spouse as personal representative against the unsubstantiated claims of a girlfriend or caregiver.
- Working for the benefit of estate creditors on liquidating assets of the estate.
- Locating more than two dozen unknown heirs and splitting assets between those heirs.
- Efficiently and cost effectively striking a balance between the competing applicants for conservator and settling on management for an elderly family member.
- Representing a long-time caregiver on proper receipt and bequest of gifts and bequests.
- Representing charities in termination of interests under irrevocable charitable remainder and charitable unitrusts.
- Acting as mediator in estate and trust disputes between contesting litigants in undue influence and lack of capacity matters.